Ok, so Ike is coming...I decided to get some things last night and my sister called to give me some helpful hints about what I should buy to be prepared this morning. So Eli and I left with list in hand to Kroger, the nearest grocery store. On the way one gas station was backed up at least six deep on each side of each pump. I stopped at the MAC machine and got some cash then we headed over to the grocery store. The gas station there was just as backed up. When we walked into the store I should have known something was going on because there was one lone cart in the store which I promptly swooped up and put Eli in.
The bread aisle was empty but we have a loaf I bought a few days ago. The water aisle was empty so I threw five little bottle packs in the cart, but upon walking around the store found full size bottles. The website suggested a gallon per person, per day for three days, so that amounts to 15 gallons. I picked up some tuna, canned chicken, peanut butter, trail mix, granola bars, hand sanitizer, plastic plates and forks, cookies, candy, soup, cereal, etc. We should be able to survive three days, I'm hoping it's not longer than that.
So the lines were six deep at least and Eli decided to freak out because there were so many people in the store. A kind lady who had come inland from the coast was nice enough to let me go in front of her (since she only had a few things). She was giving me some tips on weathering the storm. Lots of wind, but since we're in a house we should be fine. A check of the radar said wind gusts should be about 91 mph in our zip code. As soon as we got out of the store he was fine and then we waited in line for gas...once we got to the pump it said you could only buy premium gas, but with my Kroger card and 10 cent discount it cost $3.47 and was the same as the corner gas station I had passed on the way. Which by the way was out of gas by the time we passed again to return home.
Jeff's work closed at noon and I was alerted by automated phone call from Tomball ISD that there would be no school for the kids on Friday. A lot of people have headed to Dallas, but I think we'll "hunker down" and ride this one out. If not I told my ex who lives in Eagle Pass that we may show up on his doorstep!
If I don't blog for a few days (after tomorrow) we don't have electricity. Our phones are charged and I'll email or update here when I can.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment