Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hurricane wrap up

Okay, so this is my last entry about the hurricane. One of the coolest things we saw early last week was the convoy of tree cutting and electric trucks coming in to Sam Houston Raceway where they were staging. The line was never ending and by the time everyone checked in, there were hundreds of companies from all over the country including Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Canada. How strange to see the familiar orange and black trucks of Asplundh here in Texas! Don't ask me how to spell it, I'm still figuring out how to pronounce it! Today there was a fleet of trucks staging in the church parking lot as I made my way to bell choir/choir practice (also known as Marlena's evening out). Everyone at church had their electricity restored this weekend or early this week, but there are still plans and residents in the outlying areas of Houston who don't have power. Some didn't have running water or sewer either. Reports on the news said that Centerpoint Energy was close to a complete meltdown (within minutes) when Hurricane Ike came inland.

It can be years before I have to experience a storm like Ike. Although my sister told me hurricane season lasts through November and this is only nearing the end of September, so there could be some rain, but hopefully nothing like Ike. I don't think I'll ever forget the round the clock news coverage and stories that played out on TV, the newspaper and as people recounted stories to their friends and neighbors.

One thing that did happen was you were forced to acknowledge those people who live beside you and across and down the street. With nothing better to do, neighbors were often seen sitting outside eating, around a fire, cooking, doing yard work, and just standing there talking. There were kids all over the plan with a week away from school.

So life has returned to normal for us. We've put away the candles and have pushed to the back of the pantry the canned goods and bottled water....until next time.

Well I have to be up at 5:45 to get Evan going for school and he has a game at 6 tomorrow night. It's been a heck of a two months here since we moved between the furniture and hurricanes!

No comments: