Saturday, July 12, 2008

Logistics and Happenings

Jeff's company offered a very good relocation package which was one of the reasons we decided to pursue a life in Houston. However, it consists of fronting the money for the flights, hotel rooms, etc. and getting reimbursed for it. So it has been a game of making sure we have enough to cover expenses, getting the best price for flights, quotes for movers, etc.

In the midst of all of this moving stuff I have been part of the Reunion Team planning my 20th high school reunion at DeKalb, IL. What started as a few emails to some fellow classmates turned into a full blown reunion complete with tour of the high school, Meet and Greet, Family Picnic and Main Event. It was a lot of fun and the turnout at all events was better than expected. I hadn't been to a reunion prior to this one and at the end of this year's weekend, alums were already talking about having a 25 instead of waiting until 30. It was great to see how people have changed (or haven't at all), to see children and spouses and I hadn't been in DeKalb for 20 years! How cool is it there is a Target, Wal-mart, Kohl's and Old Navy right there! Back in the day you had to drive at least a half an hour to the nearest mall!

While on my trip, my mom, her friend Marty and I went to see the musical Wicked! It was great! We were then treated to dinner at Petterino's adjacent to The Goodman Theater and then walked around the relatively new Millenium Park.

Just before I left for the weekend and Jeff left for Houston, we had a death in the family. Our three-year old dog Koda went to the vet on a Monday with a clean bill of health. Tuesday she started scratching out her hair and me thinking she had fleas gave her a flea bath Wednesday morning. By Wednesday evening she was lethargic and I noticed she had sores and her skin looked red underneath. Thursday morning she wasn't interested in even getting up to go out in the morning. By the time I came home for lunch at 1 she was barely moving. I got her to the vet in a comatose state and she died less than two hours later. Cause was internal bleeding - we believe she was poisoned.

No comments: