Friday, July 11, 2008

1 week to move - first steps

Wednesday the moving truck will arrive to take 90% of the items we've decided to take to Texas with us. The rest will go with Jeff and Maia when they drive down or it's not going! Evan, Eli and I will fly out of Pittsburgh Sunday the 20th of course after Evan and I go to see our last concert together in PA - Projekt Revolution tour featuring Linkin Park.

The whole Texas ball started rolling so to speak in May when Jeff told me he was pursuing a job in Texas with a company called Dominion Building Products. After several phone interviews he was invited to go to Houston to meet with his potential boss. A week later he was offered the job and had to give and answer by May 27.

We actually spent many nights talking about how a move to Houston would affect us, our children and our families, but in the end we decided that the timing was right (with Evan getting ready to start high school in the fall) and if we didn't go now, we weren't going. Jeff was never going to have the earning potential here and the opportunities for our children seemed to be a major positive in our decision making. So we both got the nerve to tell our children first and then our families - then the moving process began.

I guess the first hurdle was that Jeff was to begin his job June 14 with their annual conference - so there were only a few weeks and he would leave. So there was I - a single parent with Maia in fast pitch softball and Evan in Pony baseball and Eli in tow wherever we needed to be. Thank God for some good friends who came to my aid and got one kid or the other to their respective games when I couldn't split myself in two!

I decided to work out what I was scheduled at the bank (a little more than two weeks) because they were short staffed as it was. I also resigned as choir director at my church after 10 years! It is hard to leave good friends, but it's been nice to not get dressed until 10 a.m. every day! :)

No comments: