Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Getting there

Ok, so I've been here a week now, but I think I'll make things relatively short so your eyes don't start burning as you read, but there is a lot to catch you up on.

First there was the trip to Houston. My in-laws drove us to the airport around 8:30 a.m. There we was me, Evan, Eli and Maia's cat Midnight who I was really not looking forward to transporting on two planes to Houston.

We got there in plenty of time and after a teary goodbye with my mother-in-law who almost succeeded in making me cry, we proceeded through security. Much to my horror, I had to take Midnight out of the carrier, while it was x-rayed and walk through the detector with him in my hands. I had already decided in my head that if he got out of my hands at that point he could be the airport security cat! Have any of you seen Homeward Bound II? I was having those thoughts as well.

They loaded us on schedule for us to sit on the plane for almost 45 minutes! There was a computer fault and the technicians were trying to fix it. I don't have a problem with making sure the plane is safe, but people were starting to grumble about missing their connecting flights. We finally took off and luckily just made our connector to Houston - with enough time for a diaper change but not for lunch!

We arrived in Houston with a now stinky cat and three very hungry people. Jeff and Maia met us and we made our way to the baggage claim where we sat and waited and waited. There were three other passengers who were also looking for their luggage so I assumed it hadn't made the transfer. I gave my information to the UsAirways agent and off we went.

Let me just confirm before I sign off for tonight that YES it is HOT in Houston! Since we arrived it's been nothing less than 95 degrees and this weekend it registered 101 on my car thermometer. More tomorrow.

No comments: