
I know some of you have heard me talk about the book The Shack by William P. Young. It was suggested to me by my friend Michelle at church who said, "You just HAVE to read this book!" Many of you also know that I am the slowest reader when it comes to finishing what I start reading. I think it took me years to read Anthony Rapp's "Without You" and I've read two books in the Wicked trilogy, but that was accomplished due to Hurricane Ike.
Go buy this book or go to the library and take it out. You won't put it down! It is indeed fiction, but puts a human face (or faces) to the Holy Trinity, and it puts into perspective how you would cope with the death of a child, what is your relationship with God, how do you reconcile and forgive? Young described the title of the book is a metaphor for “the house you build out of your own pain”.
Young never claims to have written the book based directly on the teachings of The Bible. In fact according to wikipedia.com, he initially wrote it as a Christmas gift for his children, and after sharing it with friends, was presuaded to have it published. Sure there have been critics who have come out against the book saying it is heresy, scripturally low and there are theological problems. Eveyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I suggest you read it and come up with your own conclusions.
One suggestion I have is to read it with pen or highlighter in hand. I wish I had thought of it sooner, but towards the middle, I started underlining the lines that stood out for me. The other is to talk about it with someone else who has read it to get their insight and perception of the book. Michelle, another friend Gretta and I plan on getting together Good Friday over lunch to talk about it. (They were waiting for me to finish it!)
If you read it, let me know what you think. It's a great book anytime, but particularly apropos for this Lent and Easter season.
No comments:
Post a Comment