Yes I managed to get my first sunburn of 2009 at the Knights of Columbus Chili Cook off we went to this weekend. It was one of those overcast most of the time with sun part of the time days, and I'll admit when the sun was out I was in it! We went to the chili cook off because Jeff's work has participated the past few years. This year there was dual meaning for competing. Dominion was returning as Overall Champion and seven or eight metal manufacturers (competitiors and clients) also compete amongst themselves for honor and the coveted metal cup. Who says you can't mix business with pleasure?
The Knights of Columbus of Houston is currently in transition as a new headquarters is being built in conjunction with a church, so an agreement was made with a local bar owner to lease the parking lot for a day for the event. Many of the cookers had been there since 8 a.m., so by the time we arrived there was fajita meat and sausages cooked on the grill and various beverages were being consumed as the chili slowly cooked under Connie's watchful eye.
The drive itself was an adventure, but isn't it any time you get on I-45 towards the city? Personally I would avoid 45 at all costs because the stress of driving in the traffic can make my arrival at any event less than pleasant. I digress - anyway, we stayed until they judged the metal company competition, amusing ourselves by tasting various chilies while pretending to be aficionados thanks to the Food Network, and just taking in all of the sights and smells from the karaoke to the kids running to the ice cream truck and the dog standing on the street waiting for a handout.
As the judges made their way down the line to test the chili, the tension in the air rose as it was determined there was a tie between two chilies and a sudden death taste off was to determine the winner...and we came in second. By 2:30 we were ready to hang up our chili cook off shoes. Jeff at one point said, "who would have though at this time last year, we would be here!"
It was indeed an experience to remember and in hindsight I would go again next year (with sunblock) when Dominion once again defends their Overall Championship at the 2010 Knights of Columbus Chili Cook off . After all - it's all for charity (the K of C's largest fundraiser of the year), so no matter what - it's a good thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment